Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The 4018 Divide By 'N' Counter

Here's a track featuring the 4018

 
I like this chip. The cd4018 is a Divide By 'N' counter in which you can preset how it divides: by 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, etc.  For even numbers, you're just connecting one of the Q outs back to the Data input.  For odd number of divisions, you're adding another cmos chip into the mix; the 4011.  The data sheet will help you figure out the right count you are after.  Study it :).


For my purposes, I tend to use the Jam inputs instead of just connecting a Q back into the Data slot.  I connect oscillators or outs from my gates to the Jam Inputs to get some nice patterns out of this chip.  Output can be any of the Q's:  each one may sound a bit different so let your ears decide.
  • 1 Clock input
  • 1 Data input
  • 1 Preset Enable Input (I tie High to use the Jams)
  • 1 Reset (Put on a switch or bring out to a jack to disrupt/change/gate the data flow)


All the above ingredients spell for fun times in our lunettas.  All those outs from our other chips are looking to party and chips like the 4018  are the "meeting grounds".


No comments:

Post a Comment