Monday, November 14, 2011

Exit Fuzz Pedal, Enter Lunetta


I have been tinkering with electronics as a hobby for a few years now and it has been fun seeing and hearing the results of my experiments. I started with building my favorite Fuzz pedals because I wasn't about to spend hundreds of bucks on essentially a few capacitors, resistors and transistors.

Eventually I built an Atari Punk Console and while fun, I wanted more, WAY MORE!   As I pondered what to do next, my thermostat blew up during the summer. After I had it replaced, the Jabba of a tech tossed the old thermostat at me to discard.

Curiosity got the better of me and I studied the 20 year old relic. Inside the thermostat was a pcb with chips I learned were Cmos ics. They basically create the "if this happens, then this turns on/off" functions. "Hmmm, I wonder if I can rig these ics up to do weird things; make strange sounds, blow up, etc.", I said to myself.

I found the data sheets for each ic online and found out that many of them have been used to create fantastic, synthy bleeping machines: AKA lunettas.  I also found the Lunetta Forum over at electro-music.com and I was hooked!


By the way, the lunetta was named after Stanley Lunetta, who is considered the main man in turning ics like this into synth beasts. He couldn't afford a "real" synth so he found creative ways of using surplus logic ics to make his dream machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment