The pin layout is very straightforward and easy to implement. Pins 1 through 7 as well as pin 9 are the channel inputs. Pins 11,12 and 13 are the controllers that select which of the 8 channels is heard or "on". Pin 15 when High, disables the ABC controllers. Pin 10 is Inhibit. Output is pin 14.
How to interpret this?
- For the 8 channel inputs: connect any oscillator, gate outputs or divisions from the 4040 to them. I like to use divisions because they have a decent pitch/octave range.
- For the ABC controllers, connect 3 oscillators
- Tie pin 15 to ground. We want the 3 state selection to work!
- Inhibit can also go to ground or can be brought out to a jack so you can decide when you wish to inhibit the effect
- Your output can be used to clock another ic or can be sent to your mixer/amp.